Board logo

标题: 每日学口语(9月15日)I got the short end of the stick. [打印本页]

作者: 寄托天下    时间: 2007-9-15 19:34     标题: 每日学口语(9月15日)I got the short end of the stick.

I got the short end of the stick.

我吃亏了。

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  固定表达“get the short end of the stick”,也可以简单地说成“get the short end”。字面意思是“得到了棍子短的那头”。这个习语的应用,英文的解释是“to feel that you are being treated particularly badly in comparison with other people; to suffer the bad effects of a situation.”(觉得与他人相比,你受到了特别不好的待遇;遭受一种情形的坏的影响)。
  中文里,“亏”与“盈”相对,表示的是没有占到便宜、没有捞到好处。英文中,“短的一头”与“长的一头”相对,据说,这种表达方式来源于拔河比赛,输的一方手里握着绳子短的一头。而习语后半部分的stick是随着时间的演变加上去的。
  例句:
  When the mayor cut our budget almost in half, I felt like we were getting the short end of the stick.
  市长削减了我们将近一半的预算,我觉得我们吃亏了。
  My two partners and I each put up one-third of the money to start our business. But I was the only one to lend the company more money. So when it went bankrupt, I was left with the short end of the stick.
  我跟其他两个合伙人每人拿出三分之一的资金来开办我们的公司。但是,只有我一个人为公司提供了更多的贷款。所以,当这个公司破产的时候,我就吃了亏了。

作者: 寄托天下    时间: 2007-9-15 19:42

I GOT THE SHORT END OF THE STICK.GET THE SHORT END MEANS TO FEEL THAT U ARE BEING TREATED PARTICULARLY BADLY IN COMPARISON WITH OTHER PEOPLE.THE SOURCE COME FROM THE TUG OF WAR.TAKE THE CASE,WHEN THE MAYOR CUT OUR BUDGET AMOST IN ALF, I FELT LIKE WE WERE GETTING THE SHORT END OF THE STICK,AND ANOTHER SENTENCE,MY TWO PARTNERS AND I EACH PUT UP ONE-THIRD OF THE MONEY TO START OUR BUSINESS.BUT I WAS THE ONLY ONE TO LEND THE COMPANY MORE MONEY.SO WHEN IT WENT BANKRUPT,I WAS LEFT WITH THE SHORT END OF THE STICK.2 LONG .LOL
作者: xwluo26    时间: 2007-9-15 20:14

I got the short end of the stick
作者: Topstar315    时间: 2007-9-16 09:42

I got the short end of the stick.
作者: tcphong    时间: 2007-9-21 20:47

I always get the short end of the stick.

欢迎光临 世界之窗论坛 (http://bbs.theworld.cn/) Powered by Discuz! 7.2